One of the fruits that belong to the group described as "hesperidium".
One of the many fruits that have both healthy outside and inside.
Did you know that....
- Orange and other citrus fruits are an excellent source of C,A, and B-complex Vitamins?
- Oranges include no saturated fat or cholesterol, but is abundant of dietary fiber called "pectin" which can help one cut off another size of his pants.
- Oranges also include an abundant amount of minerals like potassium and calcium.
Even though an orange is an October-February fruit, it can still be eaten deliciously during the "non-season" period.
- Orange Rosemary Roasted Chicken!
Ingredients:3 skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves, each 8 ounces3 skinless, bone-in chicken legs with thigh pieces, each 8 ounces2 garlic cloves, minced1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil3 teaspoons fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, minced1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper1/3 cup orange juice
Directions:Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly coat a baking pan with cooking spray. Rub each piece of chicken with garlic. Dab fingers in oil and rub with oil, and sprinkle with rosemary and pepper. Place the chicken pieces in the baking dish. Pour the orange juice over the chicken. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Using tongs, turn the chicken and return to the oven until browned, about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Baste the chicken with the orange juice from the pan as needed to prevent it from drying out. Transfer the chicken to individual serving plates. Spoon orange juice from the pan over the top of the chicken and serve immediately.
- Mandarin Orange Cake!
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup egg substitute (equal to 1 egg)
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt (optional)
2 tablespoons of oil (canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons of skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar, flour, egg substitute, Mandarin oranges, baking soda, salt, oil, and vanilla, mashing the orange, and pour into a 9-inch by 9-inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick coating. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Combine sugar and milk. In the microwave, heat on high until mixture starts to boil. Drizzle over hot cake.